Thursday 25 September 2014

'Irish Detective in Yorkshire' book update.

Well, after 4 summer months in the Emerald Isle myself and my wife Marion are back in Yorkshire.
We've had a great time in Ireland and have been really busy.  I've sold my holiday home in Tramore, County Waterford and I've bought my old family home where I was reared at Deerpark, County Kilkenny.   What a strange feeling going back to the home of my youth.  Everything seems so much smaller or I seem much bigger - probably the latter unfortunately!
Tending to the gardens and furnishing it has kept me busy.  If I ever win the lottery I will never purchase flat-pack furniture again!

The publication and book launch of my first book has been very enjoyable but hard work too.  As a self publisher I am responsible for everything to do with the book.  This brings great responsibility but great satisfaction as well.  The media - in particular KCLR radio, Irish TV, the Kilkenny People (Sean Keane / Maurice Shortall) and the Kilkenny Reporter (Jimmy Rhatigan  / Chubby Brennan) have been very supportive and provided me with lots of exposure.

Many thanks to retail outlets such as Holohans, O'Rourkes, Post Office and the Book Shop all in Castlecomer and to Liz at Stone House Books and Yvonne at the Book Centre in Kilkenny also for their valuable support.

The book launch at Castlecomer Library was a great success and surpassed all our expectations.  Many thanks to Mary Morrissey and her staff.

I have received tremendous feed-back from my readers.  This gives me the enthusiasm to now repeat the whole process here in the UK.  I have learnt from the Irish launch and the experience will help me here.  I am planning to launch 'The Irish Detective in Yorkshire' in Bradford towards the end of October.  I am currently arranging a suitable venue and looking for retailers to sell the book.
This is more problematic than in Ireland as most of the retailers are national chain outlets and I have to deal with faceless people at head office - never as good as the personal touch.

Watch this space for more details to follow regarding my book launch.  Just a reminder that my book is currently available to purchase on-line from Amazon Books.

Best wishes to all for now from The Irish Detective - Gerry O'Shea.

No comments:

Post a Comment