Thursday 9 October 2014

My First Curry

'The Irish Detective in Yorkshire' book launch takes place at the Bradford City Library, Centenary Square, Bradford at 5.30 pm Thursday 16 October.  Each copy of the book sold at £9.99 will result in a £1 donation to the police charity 'COPS' - caring for police survivors.
The book is also available from Amazon Books.

The book deals with Real Life - Real Crime and is a true account of my life in rural Ireland, emigration to the UK and my 30 year career as a senior detective in Yorkshire.

The following is a taster from the book of how I started to settle into my new environment in my adopted city of Bradford.

My first encounter with eating curry came soon after I had arrived in the city.  I went up Leeds Road where there was an abundance of public houses and restaurants.  After a few drinks I felt hungry.  My meal of choice after a drink was always chicken and chips, so I set off to find some.

I tried several restaurants but they were all curry houses and did not serve my meal.  Eventually, now very hungry and somewhat frustrated I ended up at the now closed, Evergreen Restaurant.
Again I asked for chicken and chips but the waiter said No.  I asked what he did sell and in his broken English accent he said "chicken and chapattis".   I thought - the man doesn't speak the Queens English (like me!!) and it's just a breakdown in communication.  He really means chicken and chips.

So I ordered and paid and took a seat.  The waiters were by now regarding me with some suspicion and kept looking down at me and whispering.  My meal arrived - something in a dish with some wraps.  I waited patiently for a knife and fork but none was forthcoming.  
I looked around and saw other customers were eating with their hands, using the chappati wrap to scoop from the dish.

I copied them.  The chicken was covered in hot spicy curry sauce and it burnt my mouth. I was not used to spicy food. My only previous experience had been when my mother put pepper on my dinner! I was aware of the waiters interest in me so I tried again.  Aaagh, again it burnt my mouth, made my eyes water and reduced me to a gasping fit of coughing.  I pretended to eat the curry by chewing on a piece of wrap with no curry until the waiters got fed up of looking at me.  When their attention was diverted I took the opportunity of exiting the place in a flash.

My first experience did not put me off and I now consider myself as a bit of a 'curry gourmet'.  

No comments:

Post a Comment